Acupuncture for fertility
Clinical studies suggest that acupuncture is useful for couples trying to conceive and in vitro fertilization (IVF) as an option of fertility.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is based on the theory that energy flows through the body along designated routes. This energy, called “qi” (pronounced chee), restores health. Acupuncture involves the use of small, thin needle, inserted in the skin and deeper tissues along specific points on the body, which are called meridians. This stimulates the release of endorphins and restores the body’s energy.
What conditions can acupuncture help?
Infertility occurs due to certain medical conditions and structural disorders. Acupuncture can help to increase the rates of pregnancy for couples with:
- Thyroid problems
- Repeated pregnancy losses
- Spasmed tubes
What does science say about acupuncture?
In a recent study, a team of German researchers found acupuncture greatly increased the odds of pregnancy in a group of women undergoing IVF. The 160 participants of the study, 42% of women who had acupuncture was pregnant, compared with only 26% of those who had no treatment. Experts have speculated that acupuncture increases blood flow to the uterus and the tissue of the uterine muscle relaxed, allowing the fertilized egg to implant.
Can acupuncture lower stress?
Evidence so empirical support that acupuncture is effective for reducing stress. Stress is known to interfere with a pregnancy, to reduce tension through acupuncture improves the chances of a couple to conceive. Many women report that acupuncture helps manage stress, also.
Does acupuncture help with male infertility?
Acupuncture has proven to significantly improve the motility (ability to move) the semen and sperm count, especially when done at regular intervals. In addition, new research shows that the quality and health of sperm is also improved through acupuncture. The experts found that acupuncture is also associated with less structural defects and an increase in the number of sperm and sperm.
How can acupuncture improve fertility?
- Reduce anxiety and stress – during stressful situations, the secreted hormones interfere with fertility.
- Increase blood flow, to improve the chances of the embryo to implant in the uterine wall, acupuncture increases blood flow.
- They regulate the ovulation, acupuncture can normalize endocrine hormones of the body and system, especially for women with Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Stabilize the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian (HPO) axis: this plays an important role in fertility and regulates the menstrual cycle.
When a woman must visit an acupuncturist?
Most fertility specialists do not treat patients unless they have tried to conceive for one full year. Women should begin to see an acupuncturist before she wants to get pregnant, especially when there are problems with fertility. See the acupuncturist from the beginning allows the regulation of the menstrual cycles. We recommend starting acupuncture at least 3 months before intrauterine insemination or fertilization in vitro.
What are the benefits of acupuncture?
According to research, the benefits of acupuncture for women include:
- Improvement of ovulation in people with PCOS (SOP).
- Higher rates of pregnancy during treatment cycles of IVF, notable when the acupuncture on the day of embryo transfer.
- Reduction of anxiety and stress levels.
- Increase of blood flow to the uterus, which helps rank the endometrial lining.
Regulation of liberating the gonadotrophin hormone (GRH), which enhances ovulation.